Justice of the Peace

This service is provided for the benefit of our residents and those persons working in and visiting the Willoughby City.

The NSW Justice Association volunteers provide this service to the community of Willoughby. There is no booking required to use this service. Willoughby Council is grateful to the volunteers who are giving up their time and we ask that the users of this service are respectful and patient when interacting with them.

JP's are available for

  • witnessing a person making a statutory declaration
  • witnessing a person making an affidavit
  • certifying that a copy of an original document is a true and accurate copy.

JP's are not available for

  • mortgages 
  • company registrations 
  • guarantees 
  • wills
  • Power of attorney documents
  • Proof of life documents
  • overseas documents.

These documents should be taken to a solicitor, a notary public or a third party that has the authority to explain and discuss the document. To find a notary public please visit Notary Locator.

Requests for witnessing proof of life forms or any overseas documents

NSW law does not authorise NSW JPs to witness signatures on overseas documents or to perform other tasks under overseas laws, or those required by an organisation or agency from overseas. A notary public is able to witness signatures on overseas documents.

You can find a Justice of the Peace outside the times offered by Council, or find more information about Justices of the Peace in NSW, at the NSW Justices Association, or Lawlink.

Please note: The code of conduct and the Attorney General's Office prohibits the Justice of the Peace from receiving gifts or payments for services. We thank you for your consideration.