Gore Hill Cemetery
Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery is situated on the Pacific Highway in St Leonards with the entrance in Westbourne Street. Established in 1868, it is one of the oldest and largest general cemeteries remaining in the Sydney Metropolitan Area. Many of the pioneers of Sydney's North Shore are buried in the cemetery and there is a monument to Mary McKillop who was buried there from 1909 to 1914. The last burial in Gore Hill took place in 1974, but the cemetery is still open for the deposition of ashes. Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery was established as a historic site with the Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery Act in 1986, and was given State Heritage Status in 2001. The cemetery is administered by the Northern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust. The Trust is responsible for 4 cemeteries in this region – Macquarie Park, Field of Mars, Frenchs Forest and Gore Hill. All contact for Gore Hill Memorial Cemetery is via the Macquarie Park Cemetery and Crematorium, (02) 9805 0499.
Willoughby City Council has placed a Heritage Plaque at this site
For a basic map of the Gore Hill Cemetery that details denominational sections and path numbers go to:
The below indexes will give the location details of a grave within Gore Hill Cemetery which can be located on the above Gore Hill Cemetery Map.
Willoughby City Library is the repository for the Gore Hill cemetery archives. For further enquiries contact Local Studies, Chatswood Library:
The Macquarie Park Cemetery & Crematorium also provides information on grave locations within the Gore Hill Cemetery.
Pacific Hwy, St Leonards NSW 2065